‘Amazing day’ raises over £2,000!
For Woodlea Primary School and Woldingham Village Cricket Club
Over the past two years, InTandridge and Woldingham Village Cricket Club have raised over £3,500 for local charities with our annual T20 Cricket Match.
This year, we decided to go bigger and better, hosting a Community Cricket Event, where anyone could join in the fun and play some cricket!
All Star Kids Cricket
We started with an All Stars children’s cricket session, with an open invite for any kids to join.
All Stars Cricket is an English Cricket Board initiative, aimed at giving 5-8 year olds a brilliant first time cricket experience.
Woldingham Village Cricket Club have been running a hugely popular 8 week cricket course, usually with around 40 children taking part each week.
In our Community Event All Stars Session, numbers swelled to around 70 children, all taking part in the fun batting, bowling and fielding tasks on offer.
Parents, Kids & Community Game
Following on from All Stars Cricket, we played an enjoyable game with parents, children and anyone else that fancied a game.
Teams were formed in pairs, with each pair taking it in turns to bowl and then bat two overs to see who could score the most.
Scoring wasn’t as easy as it sounds with such a large number of fielders, but it was a brilliant game, won by Woodlea parent, Neil Carnt and his dad!
Match Ball Flown In
A surprise for the crowd and a real WOW moment happened next, with the T20 match ball flown in by 12 times British National title holder and Green Dragons Airsports (paragliding and hang gliding centre) owner/chief instructor, Andy Shaw!
Andy was accompanied by a fellow Green Dragons instructor and the pair flew overhead before landing perfectly on the pitch to a huge cheer from the crowd.
T20 Match: InTandridge ‘Tigers’ v Woldingham Village Cricket Club
Following the excitement of the ball being flown in, it was time for the main event; InTandridge Tigers (community team) v Woldingham Village Cricket Club.
The Tigers won the toss, electing to bat first. This decision was looking a good one, with Woldingham failing to score a single run in the first 3 overs. Paul Bennett took a wicket in the 4th over and then Woldingham captain (for the night), AJ came in, hitting a quick fire 45 and setting the tone for Woldingham. Despite some great bowling, WVCC ended up scoring 163 from their 20 overs, with Thanura (41 not out), Janith (23) and Dan Smee (15) following AJ’s lead.
With a target lower than in previous years, The Tigers were in with a chance of winning their first T20 at the third attempt.
Woodlea dad (and winner of the parents game), Neil Carnt was the pick of the batsmen, scoring and impressive 44. Neil was joined by a team effort with Lloyd Owen-Skull (24), Malinga (15), James Scott (13 not out), Ben Pearce (11) and Mark Hodges (9 not out), helping us to get within just 7 runs of Woldingham’s target.
The Tigers Team:
Jon Mason (6 runs), Tom Gowers (0 runs), Ben Pearce (11 runs), Lloyd Owen-Skull (24 runs), Neil Carnt (44 runs), Malinga (15 runs, 0-35 bowling), Ryan (10 runs, 0-24 bowling), Darren Fox (3 runs), Mark Hodges (9 not out, 0-20 bowling), Paul Bennett (2-19 bowling), Lakshan (2-32 bowling).
Peter Browning (8 runs), Ali Moore (8 runs), AJ (45 runs, 0-6 bowling), Nick Browning (2 runs), Janith (23 runs, 1-33 bowling), Dan Smee (15 runs), Vivek (5 runs, 2-8 bowling), Thanura (41 not out), Robert Brown (11 runs, 0-23 bowling), Thusith (0, 3-42 bowling).
Bouncy Castle, BBQ, Bar and more…
As well as the cricket on offer, there was also a delicious BBQ and much needed bar with cold drinks – both run by Woldingham Village Club Bar & Kitchen.
The kids enjoyed the bouncy castle, making a cricketer scarecrow (for the Woldingham & District Horticultural Society scarecrow competition) and other arts and crafts on offer, thanks to Sarah Cheeseman.
There was also a superb raffle with prizes including a Canon Camera and Directors Box tickets at Crystal Palace FC.
Over £2,000 Raised
We are pleased to have raised our best ever amount, with £2,032 to be shared with Woodlea Primary School and Woldingham Village Cricket Club to set up a youth team, following the success of All Stars Cricket.
We would like to thank everyone that came to our event and made it such a fantastic day.
We would also like to say a massive thank you to the local businesses that supported our event, sponsoring the event and donating raffle tickets.
- Woldingham Village Club Bar & Kitchen – Your friendly village club bar and kitchen. 01883 653 330
- Britannia Sandersteads – Professional removals and storage with over 40 years experience. 0800 998 1910
- RM Ponds & Landscaping – Pond maintenance & servicing, pond Construction and Landscaping. 01732 863 177
- Mark Frost Plumbing & Heating – For all your heating and plumbing requirements. 01883 349 093 | 07879 693605
- Premier Right Answers – Computer problems? Talk to ‘the computer guy’. Training, computer health checks, advice, problem solving and bespoke software applications. 07774 186 792
- Grass 2 Long – Landscaping, Gardening, Garden Maintenance and Patios and Driveways. 01883 344 868 | 07984 244185
- Nine 8 Nine Design & Print – Comprehensive design and print services including website design. 01883 626667
- Essential Flooring – Quality flooring supplied and fitted, including Carpets, Vinyls, Karndean, Amtico, Wood and Laminate. 01959 563107
- Time Hair & Beauty – Beautiful hair and beauty with outstanding service. 01883 342 111
- Green Dragons Airsports – Paragliding & hang gliding centre – fly solo in a day with our Fun Day Experience! 01883 652 666 | 07860 875 567
- MPG Maintenance – Windows and door repairs, Locksmith, Property maintenance, Shutters and Electrical. 01342 316 405
We are already looking forward to next years event. If you would be interested in taking part or sponsoring our event, please email [email protected] Please also email if you would like to play cricket for Woldingham Village Cricket Club or if you have a child that would be interested in playing cricket.